How to Avoid a Climate Disaster: The Solutions We Have and the Breakthroughs We Need

Published: February 16th, 2021
ISBN: B07YRY461Y
Reviewed: 2021

Find on Goodreads

I really enjoyed reading on this topic from Bill Gates. His approach is similar to mine, being in technology, coming up and iterating on the solution to get to the outcome.

Attaching a number to the problem and comparing each aspect of that to the number, in this case, the amount of emissions we send up to the atmosphere per year and how each sector and proposed solution would impact that. Driving electric cars seems like it should do a lot for the environment, but thats only a small percentage of the overall decrease we need.

making electricity accounts for only 27 percent of all greenhouse gas emissions. Even if we had a huge breakthrough in batteries, we would still need to get rid of the other 73 percent.

The stakes are as high as they've ever been, and the outcome is crystal clear. Bill outlines this in the book, as the overall goal to avoid a climate disaster:

...we have to get to zero. We need to deploy the tools we already have, like solar and wind, faster and smarter. And we need to create and roll out breakthrough technologies that can take us the rest of the way.

Again, we need to make it so cheap that every country would choose clean over fossil fuels. Cities and states choose clean over dirty energy and make it cheaper as to bring the "green premium" down.

The question now is this: What should we do with this momentum? To me, the answer is clear. We should spend the next decade focusing on the technologies, policies, and market structures that will put us on the path to eliminating greenhouse gases by 2050. It’s hard to think of a better response to a miserable 2020 than spending the next ten years dedicating ourselves to this ambitious goal.